To strengthen, enrich and promote Home Economics Education throughout Saskatchewan.
The Saskatchewan Home Economics Teachers Association (SHETA) is one of 27 plus Professional Growth Networks of the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation(STF). SHETA came together as an organization in the spring of 1969 as a way to allow Home Economics teachers from across Saskatchewan to network and share teaching ideas. The first President of the organization was Elizabeth Dowdswell and the first SHETA conference was held in April 1969 in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Over the last four decades SHETA has maintained a strong membership that continues to support and commit to the ideas of the importance of teaching home economics based courses within Saskatchewan schools. Although Home Economics is now umbrella-ed under the term “Practical and Applied Arts” in Saskatchewan the organization proudly waves the banner using the term Home Economics in order to differentiate the area of expertise that this groups of teachers teach in the Saskatchewan school system.
In the fall of 2009 SHETA celebrated 40 years as a Special Subject Council by holding their conference in Regina and inviting back Elizabeth Dowdswell as their guest speaker.
SHETA holds an annual conference every fall in late September/early October in one of the six regions in Saskatchewan. At the end of September of 2016 the conference is being held in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and is being hosted by Region 4.
GOAL: (Updated November 2015)
- For SHETA to be recognized by the Ministry of Education as a primary resource.
- For the SHETA Executive to provide mentors for new teachers entering the field.
- SHETA will look for partnership opportunities to fund expensive keynotes and conference sessions.
- The president of SHETA will go to the University of Saskatchewan every September to encourage student membership and conference attendance.
- SHETA MAL’s in Region 1, 3, and 5 are to collect 5 lesson for the Fall VISTA and MAL’s in Region 2, 4, and 6 are to collect lessons for the Spring VISTA.
- SHETA will continue to increase conference participation through the use of our new website and online registration.
- SHETA will continue to support their members through information and resources available to the membership on the SHETA.ca website.
- Over the next 5 years SHETA will continue to use the sheta.ca website and social media avenues to increase its membership.